What is Tokenization
Tokenization makes it easy to use format-preserving tokenization to protect sensitive fields in databases. The solution features a Token Server, which is a virtual appliance for tokenizing records and managing access to tokens and clear-text data. With our Token Server, applications use REST APIs applied to the application being used to send requests for the creation and management of tokens, which streamlines the process of implementing and managing tokenization. In addition, the product eliminates the complexity of adding policy-based dynamic data masking to applications (please see our Data Masking page).
Advantages of Tokenization within the Enterprise
Tokenization delivers the following advantages:
• Streamlined application integration. The solution employs tokenization at the application layer and it streamlines all the application development efforts associated with implementing tokenization in an enterprise.
• Granular, flexible controls. Administrators can establish policies to return an entire field tokenized or dynamically mask parts of a field. For example, a security team could establish policies so that a user with customer service representative credentials would only receive a credit card number with the last four digits visible, while a customer service supervisor could access the full credit card number in the clear.
• Non-disruptive implementation. With the solution’s format-preserving tokenization capabilities, you can restrict access to sensitive assets, yet at the same time, format the protected data in a way that reduces the operational impact typically associated with encryption and other obfuscation techniques.
With the Digital Pathways Tokenization solution, you can capitalise on a range of features that streamline up-front implementation and ongoing operations:
• Enables efficient, enterprise-wide administration. With the capabilities offered by our Data Security Platform, you can choose from a range of technologies and employ the mix that’s optimally suited to your specific projects and use cases. At the same time, you gain the cost savings and operational benefits of working with solutions that can be centrally and uniformly managed. With our Data Security Platform, your organisation can centrally manage keys for Tokenization, as well as for Transparent and Application Encryption.
• Offers non-disruptive implementation. With the solution’s format-preserving tokenization capabilities, you can restrict access to sensitive assets, yet at the same time, format the protected data in a way that reduces the operational impact typically associated with encryption and other obfuscation techniques. For example, your organisation can tokenize a credit card field in a database, yet keep the tokenized information in a format that is compatible with associated applications. Further, you can create tokens that appear to be real credit card numbers, so tokenization does not break existing validation processes.
• Eliminates manual efforts and complexity. The solution employs tokenization at the application layer, and it streamlines all the application development efforts associated with implementing tokenization in an enterprise. With the solution, developers don’t have to manually institute identity management or redaction policies. Digital Pathways Tokenization offers an easy-to-use REST API for integration with the Token Server, so your application developers can simply and quickly add tokenization and dynamic data masking to applications.